Reminder to click on “Steps In Between” at the top to find all my Sunday posts.
My Journal Of Writing Projects
January 29, 2020 Update:
My debut poetry book, Colors Collected, Poetry Inspired by the Hues of Life, is available on Amazon (published by Palmetto Publishing Group). It released late August 2019, and I couldn’t feel more proud and blessed about the final product. I hope you will consider purchasing this book of 36 poems. Most are from my award winning Channillo series, with a few new ones as well. The cover is absolutely beautiful and designed from an original art piece. The cost is $10.99, so I believe, it’s reasonably priced. As a new artist, I appreciate your support and sharing of this new little piece of my heart! Thanks!!
OTHER WRITING NEWS:
- I am currently awaiting a few more beta readers to return their edits of Seam Keepers after revamping my character’s arc for an interested Indie Publisher. I could use some prayers for this crazy time in my life. If things go well – GREAT! But, if I’m rejected, then DANG! Back to the drawing board. I will keep you posted.
- Meanwhile, I put off writing the second book in my Seam Keeper series, as my heart feels the need to wait upon the final verdict of book one. BUT, rest assured I’m still writing. I’ve had a new story idea bouncing around for the last two years, and I’ve finally started researching…trying out a few scenes…character developing, etc. It’s been a breath of FRESH air! I can’t wait to share it with you, but it’s still a bit too fragile yet (or maybe I am). I will also keep you posted about this one too.
- I am really beginning to create my presence on social media (which is critical in the world of publishing) so please check me out (although no judgment on them all yet…it’s a full time job keeping them all up and I already have one of those, plus my writing). But, please, come join me in my writing journey and follow me.
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/cc_celainecharles/
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/celaine_charles
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100020278358757
- Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/celainecharles/boards/
June 28, 2019 Update: Two Announcements!
- I am pleased to announce my first poetry book will debut this summer. I will add the exact date when I have it from the publisher. The book is titled, Colors Collected, and will showcase some poems from my award winning series on Channillo, along with new pieces written only for this collection. I will reveal the cover as soon as I receive it from my designer. I am excited to see this book come to life.
- My editor has finished her work on my YA/Fantasy novel, Seam Keepers, and loved the story. Of course, I have major (or as she described it, minor) revisions and edits to make. But the good news? It’s a complete and interesting story. I do believe it will see the light of day. So, as soon as I finish my follow-up revisions, I will create a spectacular synopsis and query letter (praying they are spectacular anyway), and find an AGENT who can also see a glimmer of light from this tale. I hope to find a professional who I can work with, learn from, and grow with to write many more books to come. Crossing my fingers, blowing on eyelashes, and searching for four-leaf clovers every chance I get. I will keep you posted on my progress. THANKS!
April 12, 2019 Update:
My poem, The Secret to Life (from the Back of my Mind), has been included in Dime Show Review’s newest literary journal. I am honored to be in forever-lasting print. Thank you to Kae Sable and the other poets included. I am thrilled to be among you all.
Click on the link below the book cover:
December 30, 2018 Updates:
I am thrilled and humbled to announce success in the three awards my Channillo Poetry Series, “Colors” has won. This project, so close to my heart, won Best On-Going Series, Best New Series, and Best Poetry Series for the Channillo 2018 Awards.
THANK YOU to all my readers, supporters, and followers. I am grateful!
December 1, 2018 Updates:
My poetry series, COLORS, (https://channillo.com/series/colors/) has been nominated in three categories for the Channillo 2018 Awards.
The categories are:
Best On-Going Series
Best New Series
Best Poetry Series
I am honored and excited to be nominated, and grateful for all who follow, support, and took the time to vote for me. Winners will be announced later this month, but I am already soaring on the reality of my work being considered. THANK YOU!
In other news, I am putting final touches on my poetry book about adoption, previously titled Gravitational Pull. I am reworking a few poems, and changing the title. I am considering releasing it as a series on Channillo, as I need to build an audience for this particular topic. Although millions of people are touched by adoption in some way, I feel that the focus may be too narrow to attract poetry readers. The flow of poetry can be appreciated by anyone, though obviously those linked to adoption in some way may find a stronger connection. My hope in the project is to give voice to each side the of the modern adoption process; good and bad. As always, I will keep you posted.
Finally, I have continued to work on my Seam Keepers’ re-write. It’s slow-going, but only because of my challenging day job. I work as I can, enlightened at its new direction. It’s taking much longer than I expected, but as long as I enjoy the process and produce work I’m proud of, I will continue to plug away. Prayers are welcomed!
My Colors Series is Underway, UPDATE as of July 11, 2018:
My Colors Series is now up on Channillo.com: https://channillo.com/series/colors/
This is a passion project, and has been my joy to create. I post new poems relating to the color in life twice a week, Mondays and Fridays. It’s on a subscription based site, however there are three wonderful reasons to subscribe for $4.99.
- The cost covers your access to read my poems in Colors, as well as every other writer on Channillo – in every genre of reading. And there are some amazing gems I’ve found to read. You must see for yourself. The first month is free.
- All kick-back proceeds I earn from this site are being donated through Channillo-Charities to my establishment of choice; Mary’s Place. It’s for children and families facing homelessness.
- It’s the cost of one latte per month, and supports writers like me to share their hearts.
Seam Keepers Re-Write UPDATE as of July 2, 2018:
I have finally found time, motivation, and progress in my rewrite of Seam Keepers. It is a little more slow-going than I anticipated, with only two chapters completed. But, as you know, I am invested in many of other writing projects, plus I’m taking two summer courses for teaching. I’m not letting these restraints hold me back. My two chapters are much improved and I will continue to plug away as I can to complete this process.
UPDATES on ALL the things I have going, April 29, 2018:
I have renamed this page “Writing Projects” as I have many irons in the fire now. In fact, here is a list of things happening:
- Seam Keepers is coming along strongly with it’s scene rearrangements and focus on Deep POV. My goal is to get it completed by June/July, and ready to query in August.
- Dream Keepers is on hold for just a bit, until I can finish Seam Keepers. Believe it or not, there is even a companion book in this two-book series, Internal Keepers. This one is probably a while off for now. Unless some miracle happens… and I do believe in miracles! 🙂
- I am currently working on a children’s Tanka story about strawberry jam… name to be decided soon. You will just have to wait and see, but it’s from a personal childhood experience and very sweet.
- My adoption chapbook, Gravitational Pull, is mostly complete. I just have to figure out what to do with it now. I am researching chapbook publishing.
- I have a poetry project launching on Channillo.com this June called, Colors. It will be poetry inspired by the colors in our world (literally and figuratively). All proceeds from this project will be donated to Mary’s Place, http://www.marysplaceseattle.org/, an organization helping families suffering from homelessness.
Small Change of Plans with Seam Keepers, UPDATE, March 25, 2018:
I have decided to take a break from querying (although I only sent my manuscript out to a small handful of agencies). The more I think on it, and finish reading other books on the craft of writing, the more I feel compelled to rearrange my beginning, as well as tweak some of my character arcs. I know it’s a little too soon to do such a big re-write when I only called it finished a short while ago, but I can’t help myself. It’s an important part of myself, and I don’t want to release it until I feel 100% confident. And maybe that day will come, and maybe it will never come. I can always make a few private copies for my beta readers and friends who have requested it. Perhaps that’s enough for me. My promise to myself is that I feel good about it, and so I will work until that state is achieved. Voila!
Dream Keeper UPDATE as of January 18, 2018:
Dream Keepers, book two to Seam Keepers, is officially underway. I wasn’t inspired for a few months to write it… just not entirely sure of its direction. Then I took the advice of another writer friend, wrote the synopsis beforehand (the nemesis to my first book), and presto – inspiration sparked! Here we go again…
Seam Keeper UPDATE as of November 12, 2017:
I am officially sending Seam Keepers out to agents (slowly). GULP! I have no idea how it will be received. Also, I realize this is a s-l-o-w process, so it take a while. However, I am attempting to stay as positive as possible, and am already working on the second book, Dream Keepers. If all else fails, my beta readers have requested the next part of this 2-part series. I will do it for them (and me). I have plans for a third book in the series, but it will be more of a companion book, Internal Keepers. After that, I will be exploring new story ideas… because I just can’t help myself.
Seam Keeper UPDATE as of October 29, 2017:
My backwards plan worked! I completed my synopsis and have been exchanging it with a writer friend who is graciously giving me advice. Thank you C.G. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will be getting it out to agents before the new year. With my luck, they will be taking the holidays off, and won’t be reading it until the new year… but such as life! I’m getting there.
Seam Keeper UPDATE September 9, 2017:
I have a YA/Fantasy novel, Seam Keepers. It is a complete manuscript sitting on my desk. I’ve had three sets of multiple beta readers, an editor’s eyes twice, and yet I am STILL tweaking it. I’ve gone back and forth between the idea of self-publishing (to take time and gain my reading audience), and traditional publishing (to gain support of the professional world). I have been researching agents, which scares me. I’ve rewritten my pitch and query letter a gazillion times (and they are still not right), and I can’t say I’ve ever finished a synopsis. I can’t figure out how to adequately write my 330 page book into something only three pages long. And so I sit… writing this blog instead.
I am currently working on my synopsis from the end, and working backwards to the beginning. This way, I am hoping to line it up with various other beginnings (from various other synopsis attempts), and finally have a completed product. Only then, can I possibly start querying agents… IF I decide to go that direction.